Prep time: 5 minutes
Prep notes: Cooking time: 60 minutes
Yields: 6 people
- 1 cup barley
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric>br /> 3/4 teaspoons cumin seeds>br /> 1/2 bunch fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemons juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Wash grains. Bring water to boil.
- Add barley, salt and turmeric.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 45 minutes or until grains are cooked and water is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and let sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Toast the cumin seeds in a dry skillet until they turn golden brown and their aroma comes out, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer grains to a large bowl, add remaining ingredients and mix gently.