Prep time: 2 minutes
Yields: 1 people
- 1 tablespoon soaked chia seeds (1 teaspoon dry unsoaked)
- 1 small banana (about 4 ounces without the skin)
- 1/2 cup frozen organic wild blueberries
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon honey
- To soak the chia seeds, place in a jar or bowl and add 4 tablespoons water for every tablespoon of chia seeds. Place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. The seeds and water will be become gelatinous.
- Scoop up a tablespoon of seeds with the gooey liquid and place in a blender (don’t worry, your smoothie won’t have this consistency). Add the remaining ingredients and blend for 1 full minute at high speed.
Nutritional information per serving: 277 calories; 4 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 10 milligrams cholesterol; 54 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 260 milligrams sodium; 10 grams protein
Martha Rose Shulman