Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Yields: 8 people
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 med. carrots, chopped
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 c. brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder salt
- 2 1/2 c. vegetable broth
- 1 med. head cauliflower (2 lbs.), cut into sm. florets (4 1/2 c.)
- 2 cans (15 to 19 oz. each) garbanzo beans (chick peas), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 c. loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 c. plain low-fat yogurt plus additional for serving.
- In 6-quart Dutch oven, heat oil on medium-high until hot. Add carrots and onion, and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned and tender, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice as label directs; keep warm.
- Stir ginger, curry, and 3/4 teaspoon salt into carrot mixture; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth; cover and heat to boiling on high. Stir in cauliflower and garbanzo beans; cover and cook on medium 15 to 20 minutes longer, gently stirring every 5 minutes until cauliflower is tender.
- To serve stir chopped cilantro and 1/4 cup yogurt into cauliflower stew. Spoon rice into serving bowls; top with stew. Serve cauliflower stew with additional yogurt to dollop on top if you like. Makes about 8 cups.
Each serving is about 360 calories, 12 g protein, 68 g cabohydrate, 5 g total fat (1 g saturated), 10 g fiber, 1 mg cholesterol, 650 mg sodium.