Black Bean Oatmeal Burgers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Yields: 8 people
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans)
- 1 4.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1 3/4 cups rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with cooking parchment and brush the parchment lightly with oil.
- Process the first 8 ingredients until blended. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the oats.
- Form into 8 patties and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes until firm to the touch. Carefully turn patties over with a wide spatula and place under the broiler for 1 o 2 minutes until browned.
Credit: Recipe adapted from Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr., by arrangement with Avery, a member of Penguin Group, 2008.