Southwestern Quinoa Salad with Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette
Prep time: 15 minutes
Prep notes: This salad takes quinoa to the next level, and has been known to turn quinoa haters into ambassadors.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yields: 4 people
- 1 cup dry quinoa *
- 2 cups vegetable broth or filtered water
- ¼ cup cilantro, stems removed
- 1 cup black beans *
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed *
- 1 tomato, diced *
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ lime
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. Celtic sea salt
- 8 cups mixed greens
Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, no stems
- ½ tbsp. raw (local, if possible) honey (if vegan, substitute with maple syrup or palm sugar)
- 1/8 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- 1 clove fresh chopped garlic
- 1 ¼ tsp.Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. In a saucepan, combine quinoa and vegetable broth/water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until quinoa softens and liquid evaporates – about 15-20 minutes.
2. While quinoa is cooking, prepare vinaigrette by placing lime juice, white wine vinegar, cilantro, honey, salt, garlic, and Dijon mustard into a blender and processing until smooth. While blender is running, add olive oil in a slow steady stream until blended and thickened, about 15 seconds.
3. Once quinoa has softened and liquid has evaporated, remove from heat, cool, and place in a large bowl.
4. Add remaining ingredients, except for mixed greens, and mix gently to combine.
5. Divide mixed greens evenly among four plates, top with quinoa mixture, drizzle with vinaigrette, and serve.
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: ¼ of Recipe
- Calories: 436
- Total Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 234 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 52 g
- Dietary Fiber: 9 g
- Sugars: 5 g
- Protein: 12 g
For this and other fiberlicious recipes, visit www.fortheloveoffiber.com.
* = good source of fiber