- 1 bunch of kale
- 1/3-1/2 head of purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 beets
- 9oz Brussels sprouts
- 1 avocado, diced
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 3-4 Tbsp chopped pecans (optional)
Lemon Tahini Dressing Ingredients
- juice from 2 large lemon
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 3 tsp pure maple syrup
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing by combining all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to mix.
- Preheat oven to 400F and put a pot of water (large enough for a steamer basket) to boil on the stove. Make sure there is enough water just so that the steamer basket will rest above it.*
- Remove any yellow, dirty outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts. Cut them in quarters or if small, in half.
- Put Brussels sprouts in a bowl and toss with a bit of olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
- Spread out on baking sheet covered with parchment paper and back for about 20-25 minutes until lightly crisp and slightly brown. Once done, remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, once water starts boiling in pot, place in the steamer basket and put in beets. Cover the pot, reduce heat to a simmer and steam for 30-40 minutes until beets can be pierced with a fork. Turn off heat once cooked and let it cool.
- While the beets and Brussels sprouts are cooking, prepare the kale and the red cabbage. Remove thick stems from kale and roughly chop. Put into a large bowl along with red cabbage. Put about 1/4-1/2 tsp of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt in bowl. With hands gently mix and massage kale and cabbage until it’s softened and broken down.
- Once the beets are cooked enough to handle, remove skins and dice.
- Add the beets to the bowl with kale and cabbage. Add in the Brussels sprouts, diced avocado and pecans (if using) and drizzle in a bit of dressing. Toss to combine.
*If you don’t have a steamer basket, you can also roast the beets in the oven by wrapping them individually in aluminum foil and roasting on 400F for about 45 minutes – 1 hour.
Source: Tina Paymaster at Oreeko