Prep time: 10 minutes
Prep notes: Bean Soaking Time: 8 hours
Cooking time: 90 minutes
Yields: 2 people
- 1/2 cup dried baby lima beans
- 1 3-inch piece kombu
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 carrot
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cover the beans with water and soak for 8 hours.
- Discard soaking water, rinse beans, and place in a pot with kombu and water and cover by 2 inches.
- Boil gently for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil covered for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and continue cooking covered for 10 more minutes.
- Add onion mixture to the beans.
- Continue cooking beans for 30 more minutes.
- Add mirin and tamari, plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Try adding fresh herbs near the end of the cooking time, such as thyme or parsley.